The journey to the Arctic began at the Arctic Circle.
The highway is built up above the permafrost. It is hard to see the steep drop on the side of the highway. We did not want to slide over the edge on this journey. I am glad there was not too much oncoming traffic.
The journey continued to the Mackenzie River. As we drove down the mountainside could see the community of Tsiigetchic as we descended to the river. There is no bridge. We had to catch the ferry.
The crew allowed us to climb up to the top deck, past the “no admittance” sign so that I could take some photos. I could not resist a photo of our very dirty van.
A great view of the approaching “dock”. The ferry simply runs up against the gravel, lowers the ramp and we drive on and off the ferry.
We made it to the final leg of our journey to Inuvik , NWT Canada, home to the famous Igloo Church.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (mikehardisty.wordpress.com)
- Arctic Aerial Photography (morfis.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (passion2read.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (taochildseyes.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Journey (myphotoyear2012.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (sonelscorner.wordpress.com)
- The Weekly Challenge…….JOURNEY (allmyownstuff.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Journey (mystiic.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (skedazzles.com)
- Arctic climate change causing droughts, floods, and heat waves outside the north (climateandcapitalism.com)
- Arctic Warming Favors Extreme, Prolonged Weather Events ‘Such As Drought, Flooding, Cold Spells And Heat Waves’ (thinkprogress.org)