I wanted a simple meal tonight, it is just the two of us. I am not a gourmet cook, in fact, using the word “cook” and “Maggie” in the same sentence usually also includes the word “lousy”. With my resolution to eat healthy, I decided on an omelette.
I chopped some red pepper, sliced some zuccini and celery, and added some chopped bok choy and sauted them all in a bit of olive oil. Using these colourful veggies, I would cover some of the vitimins I need for the day. My plan is coming together nicely. My problem is my husband. How do I disguise the “Bok Choy”? I could hear the words..”What is this green stuff?” said in a most disgruntled tone. I know that I am “in it to win it”. I am going to eat healthy. If he wants, he can always make PB+J sandwiches for himself. It is my resolution after all.
I put the quinoa (keen-wa) on to cook. It cooks just like rice but is far healthier. It is important to get enough fibre and to eat healthy whole grains. Quinoa is a great choice. In 1/4 cup I will get 3 gms of fibre and 5 gms of protein.
I added a can of cooked tomatoes to the quinoa. Cooked tomatoes contain lycopene, which is one of the most potent antioxidants. Dietary intake of tomatoes and tomato products containing lycopene has been shown to be associated with a decreased risk of chronic diseases, such as cancer and cardiovascular disease. I need all the help I can get and I love tomatoes.
Quick and easy… dinner is served.
I really enjoyed it and yes, he did ask “what is that green stuff”? But, he has a cold and his taste buds are out of service, so he thinks he “likes” bok choy… (yeah I win one.)
- Quinoa and tomato salad (whatsonmyplatetonight.wordpress.com)
- Garlicky Black Eyed Peas and Spinach (culinaryease.wordpress.com)
- Sautéed Bok Choy (everydayhealth.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch… of a new healthy lifestyle (maggiephotgraphy.wordpress.com)
- Quick and Easy Citrus Bok Choy Salad (healthyslowcooking.com)
- Curried Cranberry & Almond Quinoa (ateaspoonofturmeric.com)
- Quinoa, Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms – Healthy, wealthy in what matters and wise (jitterycook.com)
- Prostate Cancer Prevention and Tomatoes (everydayhealth.com)
- Green salad with quinoa cereal (whatsonmyplatetonight.wordpress.com)