It has been a strangely warm winter here in southern Canada, many doubted if the lake would freeze enough for fishing, but the bay is finally frozen indeed. It was time for us to take another walk on the ice. Today we wanted to check out the fish huts.
There was a lot of action on the lake, it was as if we all had to make up for lost time. Everyone was enjoying the day in their own way.
additional info added Feb 28:
The thickness of ice is always a concern. Every year, we lose vehicles and sadly some lives are lost as well because the ice is not always safe. The DNR (Department of Natural Resources) measures the depth of the ice on a regular basis. There are regulations for the fish huts too. Each hut on the ice is numbered and must be removed by a certain date each year.
There is a thickness recommended for various activities:
*Less than 4 inches* � STAY OFF! There is no reason to test the newly formed ice at this time.
*4-6 Inches* � Ice fishing, foot travel in single-file lines, and small spaced seating on the ice should be safe, presuming the ice is clear and clean.
*6-10 Inches* � Snowmobiles and ATV�s can travel safely on good ice that is over inches thick.
*10-16 Inches* � Small cars and pick-ups can begin to venture on to the ice. However, the DNR states that it is best to avoid driving on the ice whenever possible.
*16+ Inches* � A medium-sized car or mid-size pickup can drive on good clear solid ice.
I hope you enjoyed a tour of Lake Simcoe in winter.
- Thin ice rescue (timesunion.com)
- Maine Statewide Ice Fishing Derby Takes Place March 3 and 4, 2012 (thevalleyvoice.org)
- Ice Fishing and Jeff’s Bait Shop (kezarlife.wordpress.com)
- Ice Fishing on Shediac Bay, New Brunswick (thejoyofflyfishing.com)
- A winter without ice fishing in Erie? It might happen (goerie.com)
- Wacky Winter (gnatoutdoors.wordpress.com)
- Ohio Outdoors-Ice Fishing Panfish-Fishing and Fun With JFick (datingrulez.com)
- Ice fishing – Russians’ hot winter hobby (rt.com)
- Ice fishing on Fish Lake (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Melting ice on shoreline strands two men on Saratoga Lake (troyrecord.com)
- Ice Fishing Contest…Blue Gill Chowder (wildchow.wordpress.com)